- A Flock of Seagulls won the Grammy award in 1983 for Best Rock Instrumental (for D.N.A.), although Paul has since sold his.
- Their name was derived from "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach.
- A Flock Of Seagulls was originally started in Liverpool England in 1979 by Mike Score, his brother Ali Score and Frank Maudsley after Mike left the band he was playing in, "TONTRIX". (TONTRIX had only one release, a single called "SHELLSHOCKED".) The Seagulls used to rehearse above Mike's hair salon in Whitechapel in the center of Liverpool. This continued until 1981 when they signed to Bill Nelson's Coucteau lable where they released thier first single "It's Not Me Talking" and also thier second single "Telecommunication" before signing their major deal with Jive/Arista Records in 1981.
- The November 1989 issue of Musician magazine did a wrap-up of the 80s. One section was two pages of comments from artists of the 80s, reflecting on the 80s. Here's what Mike Score said: "I'm glad the '80s are almost over. Although it was a great time, most of the bands that seemed to be doing well in the early '80s seemed to have been swamped by their own copies. The early '80s were like the early '60s, when a lot of original bands broke through. It seemed like the whole jigsaw could be put together and finished. Then suddenly someone lost a couple of the pieces. But I think it's the industry that kills bands. It builds them and then it kills them. It tried to kill me but I ain't dead yet."
- Ed Berner, performing with the band from 1988 to 1997, held the role as the longest running guitarist for A Flock of Seagulls. Joe Rodriguez, when he performed his tenth year with the band in 2008, took over that role and continues to perform with the band to this day.
- Apart from Mike Score, who appeared on the Tontrix single in 1979, there are
only two other members of A Flock of Seagulls who appear on albums outside the
group: Joe Rodriguez appears on his own album called ANTARES: THE GRANDESIGN;
and drummer Albert Cruz appears on releases from the band he now performs with
If you have ANY additions to offer for the Tidbits page, please e-mail me.
Home | Discography | Lyrics | Send comment
Last updated Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:24 PM pst.